It’s been a week since I watched Watchmen and since I really liked the movie and want everyone to go and see it, it’s time for a short review.
I’m calling this a “lightning” review because I don’t really feel like doing a thorough analysis of the movie. That would take too long and would be too much work. And I prefer just doing a simple review and not play the pseudo-intelectual role and try to find hidden significances in every small detail.
So, let’s get it started. My likes:
- The fight scenes are really cool;
- The special effects are awesome. It’s great that now we have all the tecnology to bring the comic book stories alive;
- Laurie Jupiter (Malin Akerman) is so damn hot! Guess where she’s from? Yes, Sweden…
- Rorschach is just amazing! He’s simply brutal, and presents us with a few gore-ish fight scenes;
- This is not the typical superhero flick! And this is a BIG plus. I’m not gonna go too much into comparing it to the comic book because I haven’t read it in more than 7 or 8 years, but I can tell that the anti-superhero thing is there.
And my dislikes:
- The movie is huge. Almost 3 hours. I understand it would be hard to squeeze it into less, but since it’s slow paced at times, 163 minutes feels a bit too much. Maybe all it needed was a toilet-break, and in this case the cinema is to blame, and not the movie itself;
- Rorschach’s dialogue is kind of hard to understand, due to his extremely hoarse voice;
- The silly jokes are completely unnecessary and a bit annoying;
- The background music for this one love scene makes it completely weird.
That was it. I’m sure I’ll remember more stuff right after I press “Publish”, but this is what I could get just off the top of my head, so I guess the most important things have been mentioned.
Now go and watch it!